Democrats in the U.S. Senate are demanding that the president-elect fire his appointed top advisor, Steve Bannon, the Brietbart executive who espouses hate-filled views toward minority groups.
Thus far, the list of Senators include:
- Sen. Sherrod Brown (OH) @
- Sen. Tom Carper (DE) @
- Sen. Al Franken (MN) @
- Sen. Mazie Hirono (HI) @maziehirono
- Sen. Patrick Leahy (VT) @SenatorLeahy
- Sen. Ed Markey (ME) @
- Sen. Jeff Merkley (OR) @
- Sen. Gary Peters (MI) @SenGaryPeters
- Sen. Bernie Sanders (VT) @SenSanders
- Sen. Debbie Stabenow (MI) @SenStabenow
- Sen. Chris Van Hollen (MD) @ChrisVanHollen
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren (MA) @
- Sen. Ron Wyden (OR) @ronwyden
Most added their names to a letter (below) addressed to the president-elect which called on him to “repudiate” his “campaign attacks against diverse communities of Americans.” The strongly-worded missive told the electoral college winner that it was his duty to “put an end to the crimes of hate and prejudice sweeping our nation.”
The Senators demanded that he purge representatives of hate in his incipient administration, and cited white nationalist Bannon in particular.
Chris Van Hollen, former House member and newly elected Senator from Maryland, posted a link listing 168 House Democrats who join in opposing the appointment of Bannon.
Senators reinforced their demand by speeches on the Senate Floor and in a firestorm of tweets, the favored medium of the president-elect.
The fight is on.